Thursday, May 17, 2012

IS AMERICA SINKING IN A SELF-MADE PIT?


Proverbs 14:34

Amplified Bible (AMP)
34 Uprightness and right standing with God (moral and spiritual rectitude in every area and relation) elevate a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.
I have been considering the admonition of someone to keep my "religion" and politics separate. This I can not and will not do. As I myself consider that I an not a "religious" person, but am, instead, a man who is in deep relationship with God through Jesus Christ. When I met Christ as Savior, He radically changed my heart and over the years I have been renewing my mind through the word of God. I will be growing in grace and mercy until the day I breathe my last breath. This kind of relationship changes everything, and that includes your worldview. I can't separate who I am in Christ, from politics, work, family life, hobbies, or any other area of my life. 
This nation was founded by men who for the most part - 51 of the 55 who signed the Declaration of Independence - were men who were strongly professed Christians. If the lives of these men are studied it is obvious that there political views were shaped and formed by their relationship with Jesus Christ. As they expressed themselves in their writings they often referred to this country as the great experience founded on the principles of freedom and Christian morality. John Adams wrote: 
"And let us with caution indulge the supposition, that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle"
His supposition was that there is no way to separate the good of the republic and the morality that flows from its people's relationship to the Lord Who gave us the heart for freedom. If we are to ignore the standards and convictions that we have and abandon our the leadership of the Holy Spirit in the things that shape the future of our nation, those who have no moral compass will certainly vote their views. It is the duty of every person who calls themselves by the name of Christ, to express the revelation of God through His word and do our best to return the land to right standing in the sight of God. I am reminded of the scripture that says it well. The nations have sunk down in the pit that they made; in the net which they hid is their own foot caught. I believe that our nation is sinking in the pit that we have made ourselves and needs to repent and turn back to the ways of God.


My prayer is that every deed done in darkness will be brought to the light and that the Body of Christ will stand up and do the right thing...not the democratic platform...not the Republican platform, but those who best express the convictions and nature of the Lord God Almighty. I know when I vote...I will pray and follow the leadership of the Holy Spirit. I encourage other Christians to do the same. That's what I have been thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment