Thursday, March 29, 2012

THE FRUIT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT: THE GENTLE SHEPHERD'S TOUCH


Galatians 5:22-23

New International Version (NIV)
 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


Today, I am thinking today about gentleness. The world we live in has lost sight of this component of the fruit of the Holy Spirit. We live in a very harsh and crude world. People in general are uncaring, selfish, and are living for themselves. You can be treated anyway but gentle in this old world.


It seems only right if the rest of the world rough and unkind, that those who are bearing the fruit of God's Holy Spirit should be gentle in their ways. The dictionary defines gentleness as "mild in temperament or behavior; kind or tender and touching with tender care." As Christians, we will definitely stand out and be different if we are touching others with tender care. The best of Christ Jesus comes forth in us when we are not afraid to touch the untouchable. When we think of how Jesus dealt with us, we are mindful of His gentle touch in our lives. He is the gentle Shepherd of our souls. Gently leading and guiding us to the abundant life He preached about in the gospels. I know that when God touched me, it was not with the heavy hand of judgement, but was, instead, with the gentle hand of redemption. I certainly deserved judgement, but He loved me and scooped me out of the muck and filth I was mired down in, and set my feet on the Solid Rock.


Everything we do as Christians should be tempered with gentleness so that the unmistakable character of Jesus will be infused our work. Take some time as you move through your life and look around you. You will find everywhere, those who are casualties of the roughness of this world. Under the leadership of the Holy Spirit, begin to ask the Lord to direct you as to how to show the gentle love of God to them. You will see people surprised and they will respond because gentleness is attractive and unusual today. You can talk all day about God, but to show gentleness to someone removes judgement and opens the door for God Himself to show up....that's what I've been thinking....



1 comment:

  1. Amen.. I need some more gentleness in my life! Especially towards my son Jared. I feel I am too hard on him sometimes and need to show him more gentleness,love, and patience. His heart is so big and I don't want to damage that.

    ReplyDelete