Thursday, February 9, 2012


Psalm 119:165

King James Version (KJV)
 165Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

This has always been a verse that challenges me. When I meditate on this verse I realize that my love of the Word of God is evidenced by the peace that abides in my heart and life. The word "offend" in the Hebrew is "mikshowl" and its literal meaning is "to stumble and to fall". One of the biggest problems we all face as Christians is being offended by people, by circumstances, and by situations we encounter in life. I know that taking offense causes me to stumble in my Christian walk and on more than one occasion I have found myself face down in the dirt of bitterness, self-pity, and hurt. 


The Word of God to the believer is life and as we meditate on His precepts we are given a foundation that cannot be shaken if we will just as the scripture says, "lean not to our own understanding". We are admonished by Jesus Himself to abide in the Word. Abiding is not an easy task. Abiding is not having a casual relationship to the scripture. It is absorbing the very life that comes from the living word and causes light to spring forth from us. The enemy wants to put out that light and he many times does that when we lose focus on the Lord, live selfishly and self-centered lives. We are so often concerned with being "RIGHT" and exercising our "RIGHTS" that we are no longer right with God.

The word allows the peace of God to keep me on course, to walk in forgiveness, to love my enemies, to lay down my life for my brothers and sister, and to desire more than anything to bring glory to Christ in everything I do. This type of life sets us apart from the world and makes those who aren't "in Christ" to sit up and take notice. To live in peace no matter what is happening to us or around us can only happen if we love the word.



If we love something or someone we endeavor to spend as much time as we can involved in the object of our love. How much time do I spend thinking on the very words that God inspired and blessed me with? Not as much as I should I must confess. Let us all dedicate more time to letting that word become infused in the very fiber of our being...we will not stumble near as often....just sayin'

No comments:

Post a Comment